Yesterday, things were looking up for UB Women's Tennis, who on a two-winning streak stood a good shot at a top-half finish in the MAC.
Today, a 4-3 loss to fellow mid-table team Akron pulls them into a tie and below the Zips in the race for fourth place. UB will need a win and an Akron loss in the season's final match to retake that spot.
This match passed fairly quickly, with only #5 and #6 singles going to a third set after Akron took the doubles point. Chantal Martinez Blanco, Laura Holterbosch, and Sanjana Sudhir all took victories for UB in the middle of the order, but both Tanja Stojanovska and Mercedes Losada Blanco fell in straight sets at the top of the lineup and Christine Haraldson couldn't pull out a three-set win at #6 to get a come-from-behind victory.
With the loss, UB falls to 4-3 in MAC play, but has already clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament, with the final seed up in the air. Fortunately, the final regular season match comes next weekend against Bowling Green, who sits winless and last in the contest. Unfortunately, Akron also closes their season with the Falcons.
We'll have more and a postseason preview next week once the seeds are set.
1. Blinova/Newnes (UA) def. Stojanovska/ Agasieva (UB); 6-4
2. Geier/ Knezevich (UA) vs. Martinez Blanco/Losada Rubio (UB); DNF
3. Zerbola/Maksimava (UA) def. Holterbosch/Haraldson (UB); 6-1
1. Blinova (UA) def. Stojanovska (UB); 6-4, 6-1
2. Geier (UA) def. Losada Rubio (UB); 6-3, 6-3
3. Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Maksimava (UA); 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4. Holterbosch (UB) def. Newnes (UA); 6-2, 6-3
5. Sudhir (UB) def. Knezevich (UA); 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Zerbola (UA) def. Haraldson (UB); 6-1, 3-6, 6-3