UB Women's Tennis was supposed to travel to Puerto Rico this week for matches against Navy and NJIT. Fears of the Zika virus relocated them to Orlando, Florida and forced them to replace Navy with Southern New Hampshire, but the Bulls still got back on the winning track with a pair of easy victories.
The Bulls easily swept South New Hampshire 7-0 yesterday and topped NJIT 5-2 today to rebuild a new winning streak after losses on the road to Minnesota and Iowa State two weekends ago. This week's victories were the first in full seven-point matches this season away from UB's home courts.
The Wednesday win over the Division II Penmen was about as lopsided as a tennis match can get: UB lost only two games across the three doubles sets and only saw two singles sets more competitive than 6-1 as they won every possible set. It didn't seem that Coach Maines changed the lineup much from earlier in the season to rotate her depth into some competition - Mercedes Losada Rubio didn't compete in either match on the weekend - and we saw the same lineup in both matches.
The second match against NJIT was a bit closer, as you'd expect from a Division I opponent, but the Bulls got out to a strong start with a doubles sweep - Margarita Kotok and Dayana Agasieva won a tiebreaker 7-5 for the clean sweep - and got two wins each from the top and bottom halves of the singles lineup.
Once again, UB dominated in their wins, as Chantal Martinez Blanco (#2), Margarita Kotok (#3), Sanjana Sudhir (#5), and Christine Haraldson (#6) all won 6-1, 6-1 or better, and was more competitive in their losses. Tanja Stojanovska fell in three sets at #1 singles, but only after pushing the third-set tiebreaker to 10-7, and Laura Holterbosch fell in straight sets 6-3, 6-4.
1. Stojanovska/ Agasieva (UB) def. Loft/ Chadli (SNH); 6-2
2. Holterbosch/Haraldson (UB) def. Poje/ Sala; 6-0
3. Kotok/Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Wagner/ Green. 6-0
1. Stojanovska (UB) def. Loft (SNH); 6-1, 6-0
2. Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Chadli (SNH); 6-4, 6-1
3. Kotok (UB) def. Sala (SNH); 6-4, 6-1
4. Holterbosch (UB) def. Poje (SNH); 6-0, 6-1
5. Sudhir (UB) def. Wagner (SNH); 6-0, 6-0
6. Haraldson (UB) def. Makenchie (SNH); 6-0, 6-1
1. Sampaio (NJIT) def. Stojanovska (UB); 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
2. Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Habegger (NJIT); 6-1, 6-1
3. Kotok (UB) def. Vujkovac (NJIT); 6-0, 6-0
4. Rosas Garcia (NJIT) def. Holterbosch (UB); 6-4, 6-3
5. Sudhir (UB) def. Helminsky (NJIT); 6-0, 6-1
6. Haraldson (UB) def. Tosic (NJIT); 6-0, 6-1
1. Stojanovska/Agasieva (UB) def. Habegger/Rosas Garcia (NJIT); 7-6 (7-5)
2. Holterbosch/Haraldson (UB) def. Helminsky/Sampaio (NJIT); 6-4
3. Kotok/Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Vujkovac/Tosic (NJIT); 6-1