clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Buffalo Bulls Down The Florida Atlantic Owls 34-31

Buffalo v Western Michigan Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images

The Bulls started hot as they used big passes, a defensive takeaway, and timely runs to quickly run up a 14-0 lead over the Owls. But Lane Kiffen’s squad began to find seams in the UB defense, using back to back drives to even up the score.

The FAU drives were 75 and 92 yards but only consumed four minutes.

While this was going on the Buffalo Bulls offense stalled. At one point three UB drives totaled together 15 plays and all ended in punts.

On the third punt the Owls Willie Wright returned it 28 yards, setting up the Owls at the UB 16 yard line. The Defense was stout but the damage was done and an FAU field goal gave them their first lead of the day.

Before the half UB went on a well called 69 yard drive but as they closed in on the goal line UB quarterback Tyree Jackson was held up and then pushed over backwards, as he fell his knee twisted and he had to leave the game.

The Bulls walked away from the drive with three points, send the game into the half tied at 17.

The big surprise of the third quarter was backup quarterback Drew Anderson’s play. The backup with one snap of experience took the Bulls first possession of the half 92 yards for a go ahead touchdown on a Theo Anderson run.

UB tacked on a field goal on their next possession to get out to a 10 points lead.

The Defense missed two key opportunities to shut down FAU’s next possession. On 3rd and 10 Harrison Bryant took a short pass and broke several tackles to convert and a few series later FAU converted a 4th down pass. The drive led to an Owl Touchdown, cutting UB’s lead to three.

A fantastic punt by Kyle Deween on the following drive pinned FAU at their own nine yard line. The Owls were stopped short on third and tried to convert on 4th again, this time the defense held tight, giving the Bulls the ball at the FAU 18 yard line.

After two unsuccessful runs, Drew Anderson connected with Anthony Johnson for his first career touchdown pass. Putting the Bulls up 10 points with 2:37 left.

The Owls scored with 1:13 left in the game, to close back to three, but the Bulls recovered the ensuing onside kick and then the offense was able run the clock out.