Today at noon, day three of the 2016 NFL Draft begins. While the first two rounds typically get most of the publicity the third day, encompassing rounds 4-7, will run nearly the whole day. A lot of teams look for projects and depth at this point. Guys like Kristjan Sokoli, a UB nose tackle, get picked up by teams that see a different role for them. Sokoli was drafted in the 5th round last season and was converted to an offensive lineman by the Seattle Seahawks.
The "Big names", like Khalil Mack was in the 2014 draft's first round, have already been taken but if you sleep on day three you miss a lot of players who will be stars in the NFL. In 2010 Buffalo Running back James Starks, a sixth round pick, set a Green Bay record for rushing yards by a rookie and helped the Packers win a superbowl ring.
The last one chosen is affectionately known as Mr. Irrelevant. Late in the 2009 Mel Kiper predicted that UB Quarterback Drew Willy would take that seasons title bue Willy slipped to free agency.
There are four or five Bulls to keep your eye on today. They are:
- Joe Licata - UB's record setting quarterback who started for four years and took them to a bowl game
- Matt Weiser - one of the best pass catching tight ends in college football.
- Okezie Alozie - a Dynamic linebacker/defensive back who put up great numbers at UB's pro day.
- John Kling - A massive offensive linemen who has all the power you would want in the NFL
- Tyler Grassman - Owner of many UB punting records Grassman hopes to follow in the footsteps of UB alumnus Jake Schuim
One or more of these players may be drafted and if they are not it's a near certainty that several of them will get a look in free agency.
Teams are allotted five minutes for each pick in the fourth through the sixth rounds, and then four minutes for each pick in the final round. Unlike earlier rounds, teams often make their selection before the clock nears zero.
How to Watch
Date: April 30
Time: Noon ET
Location: Auditorium Theatre, Chicago
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Online: WatchESPN, NFL.com