We didn't get Ohio over BG, but for the second straight game we got - in addition to UB's own win - bigtime MAC East help from the Miami RedHawks.
Remember way back when when Eric Washington nearly beat us, but barely ran out of time in Oxford? This time he pulled it off. Against Kent State. One game after taking down Akron. Two games after taking down Bowling Green.
Just as much as UB is helping their own case with a three-game win streak, Miami's doing a heck of a lot of good, too.
I'll have a normal who-to-root for post up Saturday before the games, and note that Toledo and NIU didn't play today due to a busted water main near Savage Arena. But the UB and Miami wins, the latter especially, really move the needle on UB's chances to keep moving up.
The most important game is the next one.
Let's talk tiebreakers. The current MAC top six, any relevant tiebreakers, and UB's tiebreaker situation against them:
|Team||Record||UB tiebreaker versus|
|CMU||11-4||L (0-2 H2H)|
|Toledo||10-4||L (0-1 H2H)|
|Bowling Green||10-5||1-0 vs KSU||W (1-0 H2H)|
|Kent State||10-5||0-1 vs BG||W (1-0 H2H)|
|Akron||8-7||2-0 vs WMU||L (1-1 H2H; UA 1-0 vs CMU, UB 0-1)|
Note that the actual tiebreaker with Akron will change from game to game, depending on the top seed or a potential multi-team tiebreaker. But as I've been saying with other teams, if the Zips catch us we've got bigger problems than tiebreakers.
Note also that Toledo could fall another half game back once they actually play NIU tomorrow. It's obviously good in the first place, but we'd be better off in a multiteam tie dealing with Toledo and an East team than CMU and an East team.
Onto the East teams. Two days ago the goals, in order of importance, were:
- Jump Akron by beating them and matching or besting their record in the final three
- Jump BG by matching or besting their record over the next three and beating them on senior night
- Jump Kent by beating them and besting their record over the other three
- To jump Kent State, beat them and match their final two games
- To jump Bowling Green, match their next two games and beat them
- To stay ahead of Akron, match their record or finish in a three way tie involving another MAC East team.