One thing that just kills the perception of the MAC is the massive amount of parity in the league. If you throw out Toledo, NIU, and EMU on the Bottom and Kent/WMU on the top you ahve seven teams fighting for either a bye or a first round home game.
UB Frittered away its chances for a bye when it lost to Akron earlier in the week but the Bulls win tonight against Miami at least put them in the drivers seat for a home game.
But then it seems everyone is in the drivers seat.
Buffalo, Bowling Green, and CMU are 'win and host' clubs. Akron, Ohio, and Miami in a 'win and get a bye' clubs. Really only Ball state needs help to advance their cause and that because they lost to Ohio, Akron, and Miami, but the Cardinals are sitting on a home game in round one should they not get the assistance they require.
This is my best shot at what the top nine teams in the MAC have to look forward to during the final games. I had to crack open the MAC Necronomicon, I think I said the "Klaatu birata nikto", but if I screwed them up let me know where I am wrong.
This is all predicated on the understanding I have that when more than two teams are tied there is no 'runoff' tie breaker. Head to head for all involved teams decided it right then and there.
First, Here are the Current MAC Standings:
Mid-American Conference Standings
(updated 3.2.2011 at 11:39 PM PST)
|Kent St. Golden Flashes||11||4||20||10|
|Miami (Ohio) RedHawks||10||5||15||15|
|Bowling Green Falcons||7||8||12||18|
|Western Michigan Broncos||10||5||18||11|
|Ball St. Cardinals||9||6||17||12|
|Central Michigan Chippewas||7||8||10||19|
|Northern Illinois Huskies||5||10||9||19|
|Eastern Michigan Eagles||4||11||8||21|
Here is whats at stake for each the rest of this week:
Kent: Can Clinch the MAC and a first round bye with a win of a WMU Win or a Miami Loss
WMU: Has Clinched the MAC West and a first round bye
Miami: Has Clinched at least a first round home game.
- If they win, WMU wins and Kent Loses Miami Wins the MAC
- If they Beat Ohio, or if Akron and Ball State both Lose they also clinch a first round bye.
- If they lose to Ohio, and Akron wins: Ohio wins the tie, Akron wins the next round. Miami Gets a home game. If BSU were to win the would be tied but lose out on tie breakers
Akron: Has Clinched at least a first round home game
- Can Clinch a first round bye with a win over Kent.
Ohio: Has Clinched at least first round home game
- With a win over Miami or losses by both Akron and Ball State
Ball State: e Has Clinched a first round home game
- With a win, and losses by both Akron and Ohio they would get a bye
Buffalo: still in danger of having to go on the road
- With a win, or a CMU Loss Buffalo would get a first round home game.
- If Buffalo loses and CMU Wins the Bulls will be on the round in the first round
Bowling Green: still in danger of having to go on the road
- With a win, or a CMU Loss the Falcons will be at home in the first round, other wise they will be on the road.
Central Michigan: still in danger of having to go on the road
- With a win CMU will be at home for the first round
All the other teams in the west have been eliminated from a home bye in round one.