I'm moving back from neutral to optimistic on the whole UMass move. The Minutemen released their contracts with Gilette and the MAC, very nice contracts for all parties:
- 5 games in 2012, 2013
- First 300K Gross is split 50/50 between UMass and Gilette
- After 300 the Net it split 50/50, parking is free (like Buffalo)
- UMass gets a hand full of luxury boxes to do with as they please.
The MAC agreement
- UMass paid 500,000 to join the conference.
- UMass will pay 100,000 membership dues per year (same as all MAC schools).
- UMass gets to vote on all MAC football issues.
- Two home and two road MAC hoops games per year
- The first football only member to leave (UMass or Temple) must pay 2.5 Million
- After that the other can leave for $500,000
All around fair deals, with UMass dropping 500,000 to join plus 100,000 per year it's hard to be too cheesed at any bowl or tv revenue splitting that might occur. Add the hoops games and the increased buyout for the first school and this has the makings of a healthy little alignment.