UB did not have a very good first half performance, putting themselves in a 11 point hole going into half time. Quite frankly, if it was not for a good performance by Byron Mulkey early on, this game would have been over early.
Mitchell Watt and Javon McRea were in early foul trouble, and this obviously lasted throughout the game.
UB came out of the locker room just as flat as they looked in the first half, but always slowly climbing back into games. They were down most of the half by double digits until the big push they made. With around 6 minutes left in the first half, UB started to surge, causing turnovers, playing suffocating defense, and looking like a legit power. Mulkey and Filson making some key shots down the stretch, and a couple of key players in foul trouble for St. Bonaventure. To climb back in this game showed true heart, and I'm very proud of my young bulls.
The Bonnies needed a long range two from their stud player Nicholson with 8 seconds left in order to put away the Bulls, who in turn almost hit a buzzer beater as Mulkey threw it up.
The Bonnies went on to a two point victory 76-74.
- The Bulls were 60% from three (6-10)
- Bonnies were 65% from three (11-17) - This is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the country mind you.
- Ogo Adegboye had a career high 24 points and looked like Rajon Rondo playing PG for St. Bonaventure.
- Very well played Titus Robinson, it was good to see you actually make a difference, and try to convert three point plays.
- UB was once again a poultry 60% from the charity stripe. This is as good as their three point shooting. Go figure.
- UB Falls to 4-3 and awaits another local flavor team the slumping Niagara Purple Eagles (2-5) at Alumni Arena
- Fans please come out for this game, because you know they will be there. Also, please remember the "you wear purple chant" we will be using that early and often.
- K-Mass' Nugget of the day - The 100 person Bonnie student section rushed the court like they just beat New York Big East power Syracuse. Forgetting they were leading by 17+ at points during this game.